Monday, July 23, 2007

Driving the Jeep to Mexico

We “officially” moved to Mexico on September 18, 2003. B was now fully retired but I still had some loose ends to clean up before I was free also. During this brief period, I found myself actually being a commuter between Minnesota and Mexico. I would have to fly between the two places every three weeks. That got old fast. One of the problems we faced during this period was where I was going to live. We had sold the farm and almost all of our possessions prior to the move. Once again, friends to the rescue!

J and LP graciously opened their home and lives to me during this time. Without their assistance and loan of a place to stay, I doubt that our retirement would have gone so smoothly. I was finally able to accomplish my permanent move to Mexico in February 2004.
One of the things we had not sold was my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. I could not bring myself to part with it and, besides, we need a car in Mexico. It was decided then that I would return to Minnesota and drive the Jeep down to Isla Mujeres, fully loaded with the rest of our personal possessions.

What follows is the story of that trip.

No comments: