Thursday, July 31, 2008

Summer 2007 Car Trip - 22

I'm not sure what it was about Morelia that I didn't like. It was clean. It was bustling. The architecture was at times exquisite but at all times interesting. The people were friendly. The town square was beautiful and well used. Streets were well marked. Lots of sidewalk cafes and eateries. But still. I have thought about it a lot since we left there. Maybe it was all just a little too big city for my tastes. I just don't know. If somebody asked me if it were worth a visit, I would highly encourage it. I just don't think I will ever go back there.



Town square, early evening.







Lots of street performers in the large square adjacent to the Cathedral. These were visitors from nearby Patzcuaro, doing the Dance of the Old Men. Even though they are really young men! This dance has a very interesting history and, if I remember, I will go into when we actually get to visit Patzcuaro.








While walking around town our last night there, B had to go pee. We ducked into this doorway to see if there was a public toilet available. There was, but also there was this staircase.






An unexpected little gem in a plain old building. Nothing to distinguish it from any other doorway on the street. It was one of the most beautifully crafted things I had ever seen.














So, almost time to put Morelia to bed for tomorrow we head to Patzcuaro!

3 comments:

John W said...

Wayne--my feelings about Morelia are ambivalent, too. The city has lots to offer. But the colonial charm of other old cities doesn't reach me there. The ambience seems to be watered down, compared with Campeche to the southwest.

But none of that really explains the mixed feelings.

Brenda Maas said...

Fantastic stairway/building. Wow, what a great thing to just stumble into.

Anonymous said...

I've always preferred Patzcuaro over Morelia, especially with the traffic, but there are some great places to see. Never have seen the stairway that you found.