Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Summer 2007 Car Trip - 34

The next day L and I set out to see the sights of Aquascaliente. The first place we headed was to the bullring.

The Plaza de Toros Monumental is located in the Expoplaza. It is a rather bleak, cheezy plaza that prominently features a boring shopping mall. But on one side is located the splendid bullring. It is notable for its' modern colonial treatment of a traditional bullring. It was a magnificent bullring from the outside. We were there in the off season so it was not open. I would have loved to see the inside.

The outside was graced with these marvelous statues. I think they may have been bronze. At least they were made to look like it.










The detail was stunning.









This was really funny, if not just a little disrespectful. Somebody climbed up there and put a popcorn box on his head.

Then we were off to the Palacio Municpal, city government offices building. The foyer walls are huge and covered with murals painted by a Chilean artist. They were stunning and depicted various significant historical events of Mexico. Unfortunately, I can't find any of the ton of pictures I took of these. I think I may have lost one of my picture CD's. Probably left it in some hotel room.
Then on to the small museum of Jose Guadalupe Posada. He lived from 1852-1913. He is Mexico's most famous engraver artist and is famous for his engravings depicting political events. Most of his engravings are of skeletal figures. I think you will recognize some of these. This bride being his most famous.







This one is Pancho Villa.




The political statements being made in most of these was lost on me. Especially this next one. I get what he is saying, but not about what or to whom. Notice that there is a figure buried in this pile of shit and a grasshopper climbing up the side. There was no plaque explaining it.

Next we are off to the heart of cowboy country, Durango!

No comments: